Friday, June 23, 2006

Desert Island Discs

Yes, I have stolen this off Craig's blog, but there is jack shit of fuck all happening on the net, and TV, so I though I would spend some time telling you about 10 CD's I would take to a desert island, should I have the beforehand knowledge that I was going to be in a plane crash above the sea near a desert island. Although, if I knew to take 10 CD's with me because I was going to be stranded, I would actually choose to not leave my house as the chances of my bedroom becoming a desert islnad overnight are slim to none.

So here I go ::

1) Reel Big Fish - Favourite Noise :: A greatest hits album of my favorite band. I think that explains a lot of it, but this album is brilliant, with songs about lesbians (She Has A Girlfriend Now), a cover of Ahah's classic song, Take On Me, and a song which opens with the lines "Well first of all, I'lld like to say fuck off, fuck off, fuck off, FUCK OFF!!", which I feel sums up me quite well.

2) The God Awfuls - Next Stop Armegeddon :: A great punk rock CD, by a totally underrated band, The God Awfuls are just brilliant, fast punk rock music to keep you stimulated on an island with no one else there.

3) The Smiths - The Singles :: Craig mentioned it, and I'm going to too, its a great compilation of the greatest songs by Manchesters most influencial band, The Smiths. Such an amazing voice and great haunting sounds, especially on "How Soon Is Now"

4) Massive Attack - Blue Lines :: Yeah, sounds daft, a great big ska punker like myself listening to chilled out trip hop, well, it does happen, and I am proud to say that Blue Lines is one of my favorite albums. Its such a great album to listen to on a summers day in the early evening with an icy cold can of Carling... which I am fresh out of, and I have no money at all ... boohissboo.

5) Less Than Jake - Borders & Boundries :: If only for the awesome song, "Gainsville Rock City" this album is a must, it's not the only reason I would take it, it has tonnes of great songs including about 6 live songs at the end of the CD. It's a great feel good punk/ska album.

6) [spunge] - That Should Cover It :: [spunge] are a brilliant UK based ska punk band, not as good as TEPODD, but bloody good nonetheless. Some great covers on it, including my favorite, Elvis Costello's "Olivers Army"

7) The Rocky Horror Picture Show OST :: This CD is brilliant, even though I don't own it, it is still brilliant, all the songs from the greatest musical ever known to man. I saw it live recently and was blown away, and the songs are just bloody fucking brilliant. Fact.

8) Pickled Dick - Panda-Moanium :: A great band on an indie punk label, their songs never get further serious than singing about pirates sailing the irish sea in "Ship Ahoy", attention seekers in "Hypochondriac", parties in the jungle in "Jungle Jam" or shemales in "Mike & Angelo". They're a brilliant band you have to love, its illegal not to... or it should be.

9) Goldfinger - Greatest Hits :: I love my greatest hits albums, its a great way of bypassing album filler, which sadly is a lot with Goldfinger albums, especially more so in Disconnection Notice, which, quite frankly is a whole album of filler, and just more proof that he should stick to being behind the recording desk, but, all this said. It's a fantastic album, which comes with a DVD with loads of videos on it.

10) A cd burnt on my pc, with all usefull audio from Ray Mears Survival programmers about being stranded on a desert island, because if I find myself in this position I would like to get off instead of just sitting there like a berk hoping for a boat to come past and see SOS written in stones on the beach.

... but, as Craig mentioned on his Desert Island Discs, consindering I'm going to be stuck on a fucking island and I doubt it has an electricity supply, and if it does, it's not really remote, and nobody said I could take a personal CD player or anything like that.

Well, all in all I think I have a good choice there.

See, two blogs in one day, I'm doing well

No comments: